The early forties saw rapid growth of Bogong Village, with single and married men’s quarters, workshops, mess huts and administrative offices. The facilities necessary for communal living were quickly in place- a post office, police station, co-op store, medical centre, community hall/theatre, tennis courts and school. Bogong Primary School opened in 1941 to provide an education for the families of employees of the State Electricity Commission of Victoria. The school had up to date equipment and received glowing reports from school inspectors. It closed circa 1970.
The Bogong State School was opened for the children of S.E.C.V. workers who lived in Bogong in a remote part of north east Victoria. The nearest school would have been 14 miles away and over mountain roads subject to heavy construction traffic and extremes of climatic conditions
Black and white photograph of a group of 6 children playing on play equipment in the schoolyard at Bogong Primary School. The area is enclosed by tall trees in a bush-like setting