Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
A black / white photograph of a bullock team with a man standing beside it.
Aged 19 James Stirling arrived in Melbourne on January 26, 1842 with his family - parents, three sisters and two brothers. James Stirling moved around a lot to Whittlesea, Ballarat goldfields, Cunninghame, (now Lakes Entrance), then to the Old Station about 36 miles to the east along the coast near the mouth of the Snowy River and for a time settled there with his wife also from Wigton, Scotland, and their family four sons two daughters (James, John, William, George, Margaret and Polly).
The first settler to occupy the Marlo township area was James Stirling around the year 1875. He built a bark hut on the bluff that had two rooms, bark walls, earthen floors and a shingle roof. By 1884, this structure had expanded to a 9 roomed accommodation house and in 1886 became the Marlo Hotel when a liquor license was granted.
(more information from “Snowy River Mail”, Wednesday, April 13th 1977: MEMORIES OF MARLO by Mrs Elsbeth Conlon (nee Stirling )
During the 19th century bullock teams were the most effective means of transporting people and goods inland, as the roads were badly made and in poor condition. The better roads were closer to the towns, and the further away from the town, the worse the conditions of the roads. Bullock teams drew heavily laden carts full of provisions, equipment and people from town to town and into the countryside to isolated homes. This item is associated with that era. It is also associated with James Sterling a very early settler of Marlo.