Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Photograph, black and white:

From the Collection of Royal District Nursing Service (now known as Bolton Clarke) Level1, 347 Burwood High Way Forest Hill Victoria

Description
Black and white photograph of Melbourne District Nursing Society (MDNS) visiting Sister J. Faust, who is wearing a white gown and a grey brimmed hat over her dark curled hair. Part of her grey uniform frock is seen below the gown. She is applying a light coloured bandage to the right ankle of an elderly female patient. The lady, who has dark curled hair, and is wearing a grey frock, apron, and black cardigan is seen seated side on, on a wooden chair to the right of the Sister. She has her right leg extended and resting on a small low table, her left leg is bent to the floor.. The Sisters open case is seen on a small table to the rear of the lady and a walking stick is to the left against the door frame. A dark curtain hangs in the doorway. A large white wash bowl is seen in the lower left of the photograph. A glass jar with scissor blades into a liquid can be seen on a cabinet to the left of.Sister Faust. To the right of the photograph a partial white covered bed can be seen with a table over it with papers and a magnifying glass.
Object Registration
150
Keywords
wound care, melbourne district nursing society, royal district nursing service, rdns, mdns, sister j. faust
Historical information
Sister J. Faust has dressed a wound on the ladies ankle and is applying a blue-line bandage. The photograph is taken in the lady's home. The MDNS uniform at that time was a grey frock, and stiffened brimmed grey felt hat with a light grey band and a red Maltese cross in the centre of the band.
When Made
1952
Significance
The trained nurses of the Melbourne District Nursing Society (MDNS), from its inception in 1885, provided wound care to their patients, who ranged in age from the very young to the elderly. As research developed better products and dressing materials the methods and medication applied to wounds changed. MDNS received Royal patronage in 1966 and as Royal District Nursing Service (RDNS), the Education department developed programs, such as the Leg Ulcer Management Program, to provide their Sisters with methods of best quality care. The Sisters liaised with the patient’s doctors and hospitals to provide information on the progress of patient’s wounds and to receive any change of wound care from the doctors. RDNS introduced Wound Care Specialists who did assessments and provided advice and support to the District nurses working in the field.
Inscriptions & Markings
Name of Sister on rear of photograph.
Last updated
5 Sep 2020 at 3:41PM