From the Collection of Geoffrey Kaye Museum of Anaesthetic History ANZCA House 630 St Kilda Road Melbourne Victoria
- Glass jar with liquid measure markers etched onto. The jar has a metal lid, with a metal tube descending into the jar. Two metal tubes are protuding out of the top of the lid, and each has a small section of rubber tubing attached. There is also a metal hook, used to attached the jar to the physicians (anaesthetist's) lapel.
- 15.5 x 7.5 (widest point) 4cm diameter (glass jar)
- Junker's inhalers are a "blow over" device used with a hand-held bellows to bubble air through liquid chlooform and to the patient. It was initially inteded for use with bichloride of methylene, a mixture of chloroform and methyl alcohol.
Ferdinand Adalbert Junker introduced his inhaler in 1867 as appointed physician to Samaritan Free Hospital for Women (although it didn't have that name until c.1904).
- Stamped into frame of metal lid: LONDON MADE
- 4 Feb 2019 at 2:13PM