black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph showing thre large tents side by side in a bush setting. The middle tent is open and set up as a kitchen and the outer two appear to be sleeping quarters. Thre is fishing equipment against the middle tent - nets and tin tubs.
- H-115mm W-158mm
- cape-conran recreation-camping
- This photograph is linked with photograph 1168.
Orbost locals have been taking camping holidays at East Cape since at least the early 20th century. From the mid-1940s about a dozen huts were located there, mostly by locals from the Orbost area, to establish what was known as the 'Conran Settlement' or 'Conran Community'. These huts were subject to permissive occupancy laws which were invoked by the State Labor Government to force their removal in 1986. (Wikipedia)
- first half 20th century
- Orbost locals have been camping at Cape Conran since at least the early 20th century. This campsite is from a time before Cape Conran Coastal Park a 11,700 hectare area was declared a coastal park under the National Parks Act in 1997 and camping areas were formalised.
- on back - " Camping at C. Conran"
- 6 Feb 2019 at 12:31PM