black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white head and shoulders portrait photograph of a moustached man in a suit.
- H-160mm W-111mm
- cameron-james orbost-shire-council governance-orbost
- This portrait is of James Cameron who was the first president of the Croajingolong Shire ( later Orbost Shire). He was also an inaugural member for East Gippsland in the Legislative Assembly from 1902 until 1920.
In 1882 Cameron was the first Orbost councillor of the newly constituted Tambo Shire. In the next twenty years he served as justice of the peace, shire councillor, guardian of St James's Anglican Church, Sunday school superintendent, and president of the local agricultural society and railway league
Orbost was at first included in the Bairnsdale Shire from 1882 and was later part of the Tambo Shire. Because of travelling distances the Croajingalong Shire was created in 1892 (name changed to Orbost Shire 17.2.1893 with James Cameron as the first Shire President. In 1994 it amalgamated to become part of East Gippsland Shire Council.
- This item is associated with James Cameron, a prominent early Orbost identity. It is also associated with Orbost Shire Council.
- on back - "James Cameron"
- 7 Feb 2019 at 11:44AM