black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of foyr men working in a quarry with three large slabs of marble on the ground.
- H-144mm W-197mm
- buchan-marble shrine-of-remembrance cameron-james geology
- This photograph shows men cutting marble slabs at Buchan on James Cameron's property. The marble was used in the Shrine of REmembrance in Melbourne. The slabs in the photograph were about 8.5 metres long.
The Shrine of Remembrance was created to meet the needs of a grieving community after the extensive loss of lives in the First World War (1914 –18). Sixteen dark Ionic columns were made of .Buchan marble
In the early 1900s black marble was being mined in the Bruthen district. Some was used for the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne and also Australia House in London. 900 tonnes were shipped to London to be included in the construction of Australia House.
- first half 20th century
- Marble quarrying has been a significant part of the history of Buchan in East Gippsland. Its inclusion in the Shrine of Remembrance War Memorial is noteworthy.
- on back - " Cutting marble slabs......"
- 12 Feb 2019 at 2:20PM