black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph mounted on a dark grey buff card. It shows a man and a dog sitting net to slabs of stacked marble.
- H-197mm W-248mm
- buchan-marble australia-house shrine-of-remembrance nowa-nowa-railway geology
- This photograph shows marble waiting to be loaded on the train at Nowa Nowa Station to be sent to Melbourne for the Shrine of Remembrance and Australia Housee in London.
In the early 1900s black marble was being mined in the Bruthen district. Some was used for the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne and Australia House in London. 900 tonnes were shipped to London to be included in the construction of Australia House.
- first half 20th century
- Marble quarrying has been a significant part of the history of Buchan in East Gippsland. Its inclusion in the Shrine of Remembrance War Memorial is noteworthy.
- on back - " Marble stacked at Nowa Nowa Rail Station for Australia House."
- 12 Feb 2019 at 2:35PM