"Alexander Colquhoun [Herald art critic 1914-1922 and feature writer for the Age 1926-1941] ... took private students in the first decade of the century, and one of these was Winifred Miles, who after her marriage in 1910 lived the remainder of her life in Ringwood. ... (She) began by doing charcoal studies of animals when she was in Balranald, but in later years moved to oils and then watercolours, travelling around Ringwood to find places to paint by means of a pony-driven governess-cart. She won prizes for paintings in the Royal Melbourne Shows." - Hugh Anderson - Ringwood, Place of Many Eagles [p.217].
Painting with cardboard border in glass-fronted frame. Painted from an original black & white photograph, Catalogue Reg No. 1347 recorded as "Ringwood's first Post Office showing first Postmistress, Miss M. Thompson and her mother. 1890". (South side of Main Street (Maroondah Highway), approximately 300 meters west of Ringwood Railway Station). Writing on back of original photograph reads, "Grandma and Auntie Martha Thomson 1890". (Difference in painting date and photograph date indicates years as shown are approximate only).
Inscriptions & markings
Sticker on back of frame - "Ringwood Framing Gallery, 233 Whitehorse Road Ringwood, Phone 8704930"