Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Ringwood and District Historical Society Ringwood, VIC

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive Archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The archives are located in Norwood Reserve, 125 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood, as well as another site in Tortice Drive, and are open to the public by appointment.

Contact Information

location
11 Ripley Court Ringwood VIC 3134 (map)
phone
+61 0418-103-256

Contact

Opening Hours

By appointment

Location

125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC

View on Google Maps

The Ringwood Historical Society exists to collect, preserve and promote material relating to the history of Ringwood, Victoria situated in Melbourne’s outer eastern suburbs.

The Society maintains extensive archives encompassing newspaper, journals, books, personal histories, maps, plans, photographs and other material and artefacts.

The Archives are located in Warrandyte Road, Ringwood and are open to the public by appointment.

Williams Janice 22 February 2019 2:56 PM

The photograph (portrait) of Harold Chivers is in fact a photograph of his older brother Lionel he was disowned by his family in the late fifties due 8 to family reasons

Katina Devril 20 March 2019 10:47 AM

Hello I have an enquiry about the image you have for Lionel Charles Chivers. He is also my father, known by a very different name. We have just discovered this and are putting together pieces of the puzzle about him. He did go on to have another name after us, but we don't know what that is. My question is, could we add to the comments on the photo to add another identity to the face? Our photos are much later, are linked to a different family and are mostly based in Sydney. I would like to add to his identity, but don't really know how to or even if it is appropriate to. We have not yet met his other children and I do not want to offend or upset them, so this is just a general enquiry at this stage. Katina

Leave a comment

5187 items

Certificate - Ringwood & District Horticultural Society Show First Prize Certificate - 1899.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

White cardboard certificate with gold printing from "Ringwood & District Horticultural Society. Third Show held on Tuesday March 14, 1899. First Prize Mr J. Hewish Best 6 swede turnips" +Additional Keywords: Oliver, Thomas, Lilydale / Hewish, J / Hall, C.D. (Pres) / Williams, George A. (Sec)

Historical information

1 of 5 certificates belonging to J. Hewish

Inscriptions & Markings

as above

Photograph - Plaque, opening of the Ellie V Pullin Kindergarten 19th November 1988

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital photograph

Photograph - Cr. Reg Spencer, Ringwood Mayor 1958-9. Return Ball

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, 'Cr. Reg Spencer, Mayor 1958-9, Return Ball. Hallkeeper on right (Proudley).

Photograph - Junction Street, near Maroondah Highway, Ringwood on 10 September 1989

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital photograph

Bowl - Ringwood Town Hall commemorative bowl - circa 1960s.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Brown/Orange bowl, irregular leaf shape and a B&W drawing of the Ringwood Town Hall in the centre. Refer Item No. 3248 +Additional Keywords: Royal Sydney China

Historical information

Royal Sydney China. Made in Czechoslovakia. Beneath the bowl, in the centre, is a cup under a crown with the letters RKG.

Inscriptions & Markings

Town Hall, Ringwood, Victoria.

Photograph - Senior Ringwood High School students with the school's first principal, Mr. Bennett - c.1957/8.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Photographs - 1979-80 MMBW pipe line project at Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood � Line of tunnel shafts behind 29-39 Burlock Avenue

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Part of a 43-photo record of the MMBW�s engineering feat in drilling a 12 inch pipe line up to 40 feet deep through rock hardened by volcanic action associated with geological fault that occurs along the line. The work took place from October 1979 to May 1980 on the southern boundary of Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood. The collection was presented to the Ringwood Historical Research Group by J Clarke on 9th June 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

E561 N10 Feb 1980 A43 Line of tunnel shafts behind 29-39 Burlock Avenue. Horizontal gantry was above the manhole in the corner of No. 29.

Photograph - Opening the Sunday School by Rev. N. Lade

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Opening the Sunday School by Rev. N. Lade +Additional Keywords: Rev. N. Lade

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Rev. N. Lade, President of the conference, turning the key in the door to open the Sunday school hall."

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'City celebration, 1960. Floats with children on board in procession'.

Photographs - 1979-80 MMBW pipe line project at Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood � Finished manhole

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Part of a 43-photo record of the MMBW�s engineering feat in drilling a 12 inch pipe line up to 40 feet deep through rock hardened by volcanic action associated with geological fault that occurs along the line. The work took place from October 1979 to May 1980 on the southern boundary of Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood. The collection was presented to the Ringwood Historical Research Group by J Clarke on 9th June 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

E566 N15 13 May 1980 A43 The finished manhole in the gully. The tall stake is the line of the boundary of Hubbard Park.

Photograph - Church of England, Patterson Street, East Ringwood, Vic. - circa 1960.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Church of England Church at East Ringwood with people leaving

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "E. Rwd." Church of England Church at East Ringwood

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'City celebrations, 1960. Floats in procession'.

Envelope - Packet: East Ringwood Reserve c1950, Community Fair 1961

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

East Ringwood Reserve - papers c.1950; 1961 - East Ringwood Community Fair

Photograph-B&W - East Ringwood 2000- Railway Avenue looking West (Dr's McCubbin,McDonald,Mc Neil,Ziccone,Worboys,Brownless) & Dentist O'Connor

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

East Ringwood 2000- Railway Avenue looking West (Dr's McCubbin,McDonald,Mc Neil,Ziccone,Worboys,Brownless) & Dentist O'Connor- B&W Photo from Album 6501

Photograph - Jozsef Benzinger -Superintendant Parks and Gardens Ringwood City Council-Circa 1960s

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph showing Jozsef Benzinger presenting two potted plants to lady (unknown)

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photo "Jozsef Bensinger-Supt Parks and Gardens-circa 1960s

Photograph - Heatherdale Station Estate - 1924. Railway line and Approved Site for Railway Station

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

View of Railway Line and train, with labelling "Approved Site for Railway Station"

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, "Heatherdale Station Estate - 1924. 12 shop sites and 80 allotments. No deposit and 1 pound per month. 2nd Feb. 1924. J.B. McAlpin, agent. Situated between Heatherdale Rd. and Madden St. The station was erected in 1958."

Photograph - Kenlaural Dance Studio, 35 Ringwood Street, Ringwood 1981

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Written on back of photograph, "Kenlaural Dance Studio, 35 Ringwood Street. 30/9/81".

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

City celebrations, 1960. School children taking part'.

Photograph - 1956 Ringwood Pre-School Queen Carnival Ball. Miss Dawn Schubert (Miss Holeproof Ltd.), Miss Ann Hardy (Miss Alan Coffey Motors Pty. Ltd.) and Miss Effie Kelly (Miss Acorn Gowns Ltd.)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "1956 - Queen Carnival Ball with queens. Written on back of photograph, "'Mail', 24/5/1956. Pre-school Queen Carnival, Ringwood".

Rock - Stibnite rock sample from a Ringwood antimony mine.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Lump of antimony rock (Stibnite) from the mine in Ringwood. See also History of Object.

Historical information

Owned by Russ Haines since 1966. Antimony was mined in Ringwood during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The ore known as Stibnite is a sulphide of Antimony. The metal is alloyed with lead in the manufacture of lead-acid batteries and in typesetting. Stibnite has been used for centuries as a cosmetic (marking eyebrows). The antimony ore may also contain gold.

Photographs - 1979-80 MMBW pipe line project at Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood � MMBW compound in Evelyn Road

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Part of a 43-photo record of the MMBW�s engineering feat in drilling a 12 inch pipe line up to 40 feet deep through rock hardened by volcanic action associated with geological fault that occurs along the line. The work took place from October 1979 to May 1980 on the southern boundary of Hubbard Reserve, North Ringwood. The collection was presented to the Ringwood Historical Research Group by J Clarke on 9th June 1980.

Inscriptions & Markings

E563 N2 12 April 1980 A43 MMBW compound in Evelyn Road gully

Photograph - Ringwood High School original staff - 1954.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "Ringwood High School original staff".

Photograph - City of Ringwood celebrations, 1960

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'City celebrations, 1960. Bands in procession'.

Envelope - Packet: Ringwood; various newspaper clippings from 1950s and 1960s (2 packets).

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Various newspaper items and articles with handwritten summary of contents dated 1886 to 1887

Photograph - School group at Norwood Primary School, Ringwood, probably circa 1980

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital photograph

Photograph - Maroondah Highway, Ringwood, State Bank on 12 September 1988

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Digital photograph

School Magazine - Parkwood High School Magazine 1979

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Pictures, stories and articles of interest - Parkwood High School/Secondary College, 35-39 Tortice Drive, North Ringwood, Victoria.

Historical information

Parkwood High School/Secondary College opened in 1979 and operated until closure in 2011.

Photograph - Ringwood Clocktower re-opening ceremony, Cnr Maroondah Hwy and Wantirna Road, Ringwood - December 1967.

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, 'Clock tower ceremony in new position'. Catalogue card reads, 'Clock tower re-opening, December 1967'.

Photograph - Opening day at Eastland, Ringwood, October 1967

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Inscriptions & Markings

Catalogue card reads, 'Opening day at Eastland' October 1967.

Photograph - Second Coach and Horses Hotel built 1909 used as shops today (1979)

Ringwood and District Historical Society, Ringwood

Black and white photograph of shops.

Inscriptions & Markings

Typed below photograph, "The second Coach and Horses Hotel built 1909 used as shops today (1979). Written on backing sheet, "old C & H 1909-1939"