Painting - "Wantirna" - Water colour on paper by Winifred Miles (1884-1944)
From the Collection of Ringwood and District Historical Society 125 Warrandyte Road Ringwood VIC
- One of two undated paintings by Winifred Miles' viewed from the same vantage point in Wantirna. (See Registration Number 4836)
- Painting - 23.5cm(w) x 19cm(h), frame - 35.5cm(w) x 30.5(h)
- "Alexander Colquhoun [Herald art critic 1914-1922 and feature writer for the Age 1926-1941] ... took private students in the first decade of the century, and one of these was Winifred Miles, who after her marriage in 1910 lived the remainder of her life in Ringwood. ... (She) began by doing charcoal studies of animals when she was in Balranald, but in later years moved to oils and then watercolours, travelling around Ringwood to find places to paint by means of a pony-driven governess-cart. She won prizes for paintings in the Royal Melbourne Shows." - Hugh Anderson - Ringwood, Place of Many Eagles [p.217].
- Undated, later than 1910.
- Winifred Miles (Maker)
- Sticker on back of frame - "Ringwood Framing Gallery, 233 Whitehorse Road Ringwood, Phone 8704930"
- 7 Mar 2019 at 6:18PM