Booklet - Sunday Sport – Has the Church an Answer?
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a booklet of four pages. It has a pale blue cover with dark blue printing and a decorative edging around the printing. The pages are loose within the cover.
- W 12.5 cm. H 18 cm. D .2 cm.
- This booklet was written by the Rev. J. E. (Eric) Owen in response to the campaign regarding the playing of Sunday sport in Warrnambool in the 1960s. The specific point of contention was the playing of football on Warrnambool City Council-managed grounds. The article written by the Rev. Owen concluded that there was nothing inherently wrong with the playing of Sunday sport. The Rev. Eric Owen served as the Presbyterian Minister at St. John’s Church in Warrnambool from December 1960 to 1965, dying in office in the May of 1965. Today Sunday sport, both organized and recreational, is an acceptable and common occurrence.
- Collett & Bain, Printers (Maker)
- This booklet is of interest as one written by a local Warrnambool person in the 1960s and as a memento of the time when the playing of Sunday sport was a contentious issue.
- 19 Feb 2019 at 11:27AM