Book - Soldiering On – Caramut and the Soldier Settler Movement
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a soft cover book of 315 pages. It has a buff-coloured cover with black and white photographs and white printing on the front cover and black printing on the spine. The book includes printed material, black and white photographs, maps and plans.
- W 20.8 cm. H 29.5 cm. D 2 cm.
- james affleck, peterborough, soldier settlement, caramut, history of warrnambool
- This book records the history of the post World War Two soldier settlement farms in the Caramut area. Soldier Settlements in Victoria were established by the State Government to provide farming opportunities for returned soldiers. Some of the land allocated was Crown Land and some was obtained by sub-dividing larger estates. Caramut is a town in Western Victoria in the Shire of Moyne on the Hamilton Highway, 55 kilometres north of Warrnambool. The book incorporates a reprint of the booklet, ‘Plenty of Possums’ produced in 1988 by the Caramut Bicentennial Group. The author, James Affleck, has produced several books dealing with local history in the Warrnambool area.
- StarPrinting Service Pty ltd (Maker)
- This book is of considerable importance as it is a comprehensive record of the history of the post World War Two Soldier Settlement in the Caramut area. It will be very useful for local researchers.
- James R.R. Affleck 9th November 2018
- 19 Feb 2019 at 11:43AM