The 8th Light Horse (Indi) Regiment superseded the 16th Light Horse in 1919. It had its headquarters at Benalla with sub-units throughout the Upper Murray and Northeast Victoria. In December 1941, the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 8th Reconnaissance Battalion then in July 1942 it became 8th Cavalry Regiment and served in Northern Territory. As Japanese threat to the mainland declined the regiment was disbanded.
Part of a series showing aspects of Citizen Soldering circa 1930s.
Black and white photograph of three soldiers of ' A ' Squadron, 8th Light Horse Regiment standing outside tent. Identified as Les Lees - Left, Jack Riley - centre, Vin Keidy - right.