Historical information

The donor, Bob Lennox believed that these were the work of his great-grandfather William Lennox and his builders. William and his son were plasterers and often used the shell motif which is seen on the pediment of the buildings. These two terraces were part of the retail development of five terraces along Canterbury Road which were constructed on land subdivided from the parcel of land originally owned by John Woodhead. The Alan Holt register of properties in 3127 gives a list of proprietors / residents at the beginning of each decade from 1890-1980. There are also earlier photos depicting these buildings in the collection. These buildings have been included in the City of Boroondara Heritage Overlay Union Road Commercial Precinct 2011, Surrey Hills.


These buildings were amongst the first commercial buildings serving the area of Surrey Hills and followed the extension of the railway from Camberwell in 1883.

Physical description

A colour photo with rounded corners taken from slightly diagonally across Canterbury Road from 2 double-storey Victorian style buildings. Both have the decorative shell motif in the pediment.

Inscriptions & markings

Back of photo in green pencil "CANTERBURY RD SURREY HILLS / EAST OF UNION RD"