This book “The Job” is a novel written by Sinclair Lewis. It was first published in America in 1916 and in England in 1926. It is Lewis’ third book. There are 320 numbered pages, divided into three parts, each part is divided into chapters, which are in turn divided into sections.
This particular book is one of a Collected Edition published in 1929. A note from the publisher included within the book states “It has been corrected in some small details but no revision or rewriting has been attempted by the author who wishes it to be made clear that it is an early and not a new work.”
About SINCLAIR LEWIS (1885-1951)
The author was born as Harry Sinclair Lewis in 1885 in Sauk Centre, Minnesota. He was renowned as an American novelist, playwright and short story writer. His first writings were romantic poems and short stories. Six of his novels were published by the time Lewis was 36.
Lewis received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1930 for his “vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and humour, new types of characters." He was the first author from the United States to receive this award.
Lewis graduated from university in 1907. He worked as a reporter and editor for several publications. He was a prolific writer, publishing dozens of works and numerous articles, and became popular for his satire. Lewis married and divorced twice and died alone from a heart attack due to advanced alcoholism) near Rome on 10th January 1951, aged 66.
This book was part of a large group of books referred to as the Pattison Collection, which belonged to the Warrnambool Public Library, part of the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute. There is a remnant of the library’s label inside the back page of the book.
About RALPH ERIC PATTISON and the ‘PATTISON COLLECTION’
The ‘Pattison Collection’ is a collection of books and records that was originally owned by the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute, founded in Warrnambool in 1853.
By 1886 the Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute (WMI) had grown to have a Library, Museum and Fine Arts Gallery, with a collection of “… choice productions of art, and valuable specimens in almost every branch and many wonderful national curiosities are now to be seen there, including historic relics of the town and district.” It later included a School of Design. Although it was very well patronised, the WMI was led to ask the City Council to take it over in 1911 due to lack of financial support.
In 1935 Ralph Pattison was appointed as City Librarian to establish and organise the Warrnambool Public Library as it was then called.
Ralph Eric Pattison was born in Rockhampton, Queensland, in 1891. He married Maude Swan from Warrnambool in 1920 and they set up home in Warrnambool.
In 1935 when Pattison accepted the position as City Librarian for the Warrnambool City Council his huge challenge was to make a functional library within two rooms of the Mechanics’ Institute. He tirelessly cleaned, cleared and sorted a disarrayed collection of old books, jars of preserved specimens and other items reserved for exhibition in the city’s museum.
He developed and updated the library with a wide variety of books for all tastes, including reference books for students; a difficult task to fulfil during the years following the Depression. He converted all of the lower areas of the building into a library, reference room and reading room for members and the public. The books were sorted and stored using a cataloguing and card index system that he had developed himself.
He also prepared the upper floor of the building and established the Art Gallery and later the Museum, a place to exhibit the many old relics that had been stored for years for this purpose. One of the treasures he found was a beautiful ancient clock, which he repaired, restored and enjoyed using in his office during the years of his service there.
Ralph Pattison was described as “a meticulous gentleman whose punctuality, floorless courtesy and distinctive neat dress were hallmarks of his character, and ‘his’ clock controlled his daily routine, and his opening and closing of the library’s large heavy doors to the minute.”
Pattison took leave from 1942 to 1945 to serve in the Royal Australian Navy, Volunteer Reserve as Lieutenant.
A few years later he converted one of the Museum’s rooms into a Children’s Library, stocking it with suitable books for the younger generation. This was an instant success.
In the 1950’s he had the honour of being appointed to the Victorian Library Board and received more inspiration from the monthly conferences in Melbourne.
He was sadly retired in 1959 after over 23 years of service, due to the fact that he had gone over the working age of council officers. However he continued to take a very keen interest in the continual development of the Library until his death in 1969.
THE NEW WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY
When the WMI building was pulled down in 1963 a new civic building was erected on the site and the new Warrnambool Library, on behalf of the City Council, took over all the holdings of the WMI. At this time some of the items were separated and identified as the ‘Pattison Collection’, named after Pattison.
Eventually the components of the WMI were distributed from the Warrnambool Library to various places, including the Art Gallery, Historical Society and Flagstaff Hill. Later some were even distributed to other regional branches of Corangamite Regional Library and passed to and fro. It is difficult now to trace just where all of the items have ended up. The books at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village generally display stamps and markings from Pattison as well as a variety of other institutions including the Mechanics’ Institute itself.
Lewis’s book is significant for its association with the writer, who was the first American to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature (1930).
This book is significant for its connection with the Pattison Collection which, along with other items at Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, was originally part of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s collection.
The Warrnambool Mechanics’ Institute collection is primarily significant in its totality, rather than for the individual objects it contains. Its contents are highly representative of the development of Mechanics' Institute libraries across Australia, particularly Victoria. A diversity of publications and themes has been amassed, and these provide clues to our understanding of the nature of and changes in the reading habits of Victorians from the 1850s to the middle of the 20th century. The collection also highlights the Warrnambool community’s commitment to the Mechanics’ Institute, reading, literacy and learning in the regions, and proves that access to knowledge was not impeded by distance. These items help to provide a more complete picture of our community’s ideals and aspirations.
The Warrnambool Mechanics Institute book collection has historical and social significance for its strong association with the Mechanics Institute movement and the important role it played in the intellectual, cultural and social development of people throughout the latter part of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. The collection of books is a rare example of an early lending library and its significance is enhanced by the survival of an original collection of many volumes.
The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute’s publication collection is of both local and state significance.
Title: The Job
Author: Sinclair Lewis
Publisher: Jonathan Cape, London
Hardback board book covered with red linen, spine reinforced with blue.
The author’s name is embossed in gold on the front cover. There is a logo impressed into the centre of the back cover with the printer’s initials “J C”. On the spine is a white adhesive label with a typed library call number. Inside the front cover is a printed label. Inside front and back covers are a black stamp and handwritten characters in pen and pencil. Inside the back cover and facing page are various date stamps dating from 1942 to 1963.
The book, a novel, is one of a Collected Edition published in 1929. It also belongs to the Pattison Collection originally belonging to the Warrnambool Public Library.
Inscriptions & markings
Logo “J” over “C”
Adhesive label - “PAT / FIC / LEW”
Printed label “Corangamite Regional Library Service / Warrnambool City Library / Pattison Collection”
Stamp on inside front page and inside back page “CORANGAMITE REGIONAL LIBRARY SERVICE / WARRNAMBOOL LIBRARY”
Handwritten on the inside page facing cover “1083” and “M 73”
Handwritten on inside page facing back cover “1083”
Date stamps facing back cover “1958” – “1963”, and on inside back cover “1942” – “195-“
Remnants of a torn out paper “ - - - - - - PU - - - C LIBRAR- / ……”
- flagstaff hill,
- shipwrecked coast,
- flagstaff hill maritime museum,
- maritime museum,
- shipwreck coast,
- flagstaff hill maritime village,
- great ocean road,
- pattison collection,
- warrnambool library,
- warrnambool public library,
- warrnambool mechanics’ institute,
- ralph eric pattison,
- warrnambool books and records,
- corangamite regional library service,
- warrnambool city librarian,
- mechanics’ institute library,
- victorian library board,
- warrnambool children’s library,
- the job by sinclair lewis,
- collection edition sinclair lewis,
- american novel 1929,
- jonathan cape,
- sinclair lewis,
- harry sinclair lewis,
- 1930 nobel prize for literature