Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 2 Photographs:
466-08 Notice of the Unmarked Graves. Although the land for the cemetery was granted in 1870, a survey was not made until 1903 hence the existence of unmarked graves.
466-09 A disastrous fire swept through the cemetery in 1943, destroying many structures around the graves - hence the rule "no wooden structures". the Hitching Posts were used for tying up hrses during a funeral service. They were erected in 1912 and now only two remain.
- 10 x 5
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffrey
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- 23 Mar 2019 at 4:46PM