Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 4 photographs relating to the McHaffie family.
466-15 & 466-16: Noel Wemyss & Vernon Suter Wemyss McHaffie were grandchildren of the first permanent European Settlers of Phillip Island (John David & Georgianna McHarrie who leased the whole Island as a sheep and cattle run for 45 years until Closer Settlement in 1868 reduced their holding to 640 acres and who are buried at the
St. Kilda Cemetery, Melbourne). Noel's ashes are interred at the Phillip Island Cemetery and Vernon's were scattered at Ventnor Philip Island at the site of the original homestead.
466-17 & 466-18: As per the Plaque: "Mulberry Tree: Muberry cutting from original tree planted by John D McHaffie First Settlers Phillip Island 1842. Plaque by courtesy Cherry McFee 1987.
- 10 x 15
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffrey
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- 25 Mar 2019 at 10:15AM