Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 466-21: Henry Bennell was known as "Bricky" Bennell. Henry or Harry as he was sometimes called, was the Island's firs bricklayer. He was married to Elizabeth West, daughter of John West, who owned the first Chicory Kiln on the Island in what is now Thompson Avenue. Henry Died on September 14th, 1940, aged 68 years.
466-22: Captain David Reid J. B. Captain Reid served as a Councillor of the Phillip Island and Woolamai Shire in 1875. He was the first Trustee and President, as well as being instrumental in establishing a school at Rhyll on block 13 about 1870. He died in 1891 at the age of 75.
- 10 x 15
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffery
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- Kodak (Maker)
- 25 Mar 2019 at 4:01PM