Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 466-23: Joseph Richardson came to Australia in 1837 from Liverpool, England. Sarah Arbuckle and her two sisters arrived in 1850. Sarah and Joseph were married when gold was discovered in Victoria. They went to the diggings and had some success. Joseph bought land on Phillip Island when it was open to freehold selection in 1868. The family moved to Phillip Island shortly afterwards, to a house they built on a hill west of Cowes. They called their home "Everton" after a Liverpool suburb. The house still stands in Church Street, known as "Tallawalla".
466-24: The McIlwraith family came from Melton, Victoria to Heath Hill, Rhyll in 1869. They played an important part in the early history of Phillip Island. James was a foundation member of the Trust, John and Alan played their part in the local scene. John was President and Alan Secretary of the Cemetery Trust for many years.
- 10 x 15
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffery
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- 26 Mar 2019 at 11:11AM