The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
466-25: William and Alice Richardson: Alice Barnard married William Richardson at Hawthorn, April 1887. Alice's father Fredrick was a Model Maker employed at the Melbourne Museum. Alice died in childbirth having her third child, Joseph in 1892. Baby Joseph died in April 1893, eight months later at Rhyll.
466-26: The Forrest Family: The Forrest family were amongst our early settlers. The Forrest Caves are named after them. Matthew Forrest arrived by dray from Tarradale on 9th November 1869. He died in 1916 at the age of 75. His Grandson, Peter Forrest Sr. has recorded that Matthew was the first to plant Marum Grass on the Island to prevent erosion.