Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 466-27: Charles Grayden: Charles arrived from England on the "Robert Ben" about 1835. On arrival he went bush. He later married Margaret Larkie in St. James' old Cathedral, Melbourne on 15th September, 1842. They arrived at Hastings in 1860 then came to Phillip Island to live on Block 33, Newhaven in the year 1867. He died 26th January 1905 aged 85. Margaret died 21st June 1907 aged 81. She is also buried in this grave.
466-28: Joseph Bauer: Joseph was the son of our first owner of the Isle of Wight Hotel. His father came to the Island in 1870 and bought a small private house, then added to it in the style of a Swiss House. It became one of the most comfortable hotels in Victoria. Joseph died aged 19, in 1878.
- 10 x 15
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffery
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- Kodak (Maker)
- 26 Mar 2019 at 3:13PM