Stories Organisations Projects About Login

'Save Fairfield Hospital' badge

From the Collection of Australian Nursing & Midwifery Federation Level 1 535 Elizabeth St Melbourne Victoria

Description
Circular white and red plastic badge. Silver metal, plastic-coated, with safety pin fastener adhered to back.

Badge printed with the red text 'SAVE FAIRFIELD HOSPITAL'. Silver metal, plastic-coated, with safety pin fastener adhered to back.
Links
Object Registration
B050
Keywords
medicine, health, public institutions, fairfield, victoria, city of darebin, melbourne, politics, political protest, public protest, campaigning, badges, buttons, pins, public health, infectious diseases, aids
Historical information
Fairfield Hospital opened in 1904 as the Queen's Memorial Infectious Diseases Hospital, the first purpose-built isolation hospital for infectious diseases in Victoria. Its 22-acre site was located on a bank of the Yarra River. It was renamed Fairfield Hospital in 1948. In its later years, the hospital was a centre for AIDS treatment in Victoria, and a passionate campaign fought against its planned closure in the 1990s.

Fairfield Hospital finally closed in June 1996. One section of the site was gazetted as a Public Park and Memorial Garden (containing an AIDS Garden).
When Made
[1990s]
Last updated
11 Apr 2019 at 3:18PM