Photograph Album - Phillip Island Cemetery
From the Collection of Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc. Heritage Centre 89 Thompson Avenue COWES VICTORIA
- 466-34: Captain J. B. Lock. John Barnard Lock was associated with the trading vessels to operate from Phillip Island when the settlers had most of their goods brought from Melbourne. He died in 1908 and is laid to rest in the family grave. The grave is surrounded by metal railing and flowers.
466-35: David Charles Justice. David came to the Island in 1898. He was a blacksmith, coachbuilder, farrier, agricultural engineer, wheelmaker, shipbuilder and farmer. He purchased a farm from the Harbison Estate in 1911 in the Ventnor township. He assisted Mr Will Kennon in building a punt used to recover equipment from the wreck of the "Speke". "Dinny" as he was called, married Isabella Miller (an early settlers' family). He died in November 1943 aged 79. Isabella died in October 1936 aged 86.
- 10 x 15
- phillip island cemetery, nancy mchaffie, edith jeffery, captain john barnard lock, david charles justice, isabella justice
- The Album was compiled by Nancy McHaffie late 1990's, with the assistance of Edith Jeffery's, with her book "Garden of Memories" and extensive knowledge of Phillip Island.
The Cemetery lies back from the road and is surrounded by Manna Gums, rare Peppermint Gums, Blackwoods and other native trees. In all 25 acres of land were set aside as Crown Land in the land settlement of 1868. There are 6.2 acres of wetlands near the cemetery entrance.
- c 1990
- Kodak (Maker)
- 28 Mar 2019 at 10:47AM