Defence Leave Ticket
From the Collection of Warrnambool RSL Sub Branch Cnr Merri & Liebig Streets Warrnambool Victoria
- A rectangular light brown paper card with printed ink inscriptions on the front and back.
- 59mm height x 31 mm length
- army, uniform, jacket, army service corps, asc, divisional unit one, division one, train ticket, train, ticket, defence leave, defnce leave ticket
- This ticket is part of a three piece set. There is also an Army Uniform (jacket and trousers) which are associated with this item. The ticket was found within one of the front pocekts of the jacket. There are three chevrons on the sleeve of this jacket which signifies three years of service. The unit patches on the shoulders may denote that the wearer was part of the Army Serice Corps Divisional Unit one. The ticket shows that the serviceman was at some point travelling in uniform on defence leave in a first class carriage from Spencer Street to either Moreland, Newmarket, North Carlton, Northcote or Westgarth.
- Approximately 1942
- As an historic train ticket with an association to Victoria and the Army Service Corps this item is of local historic and social significance.
- Horizontal inscriptions on the front in black ink: SPENCER STREET / (1 [symbol of a cross] ) TO / MORELAND / NEWM’RK’T / Nth. CARLN. NORTHCOTE / or / WESTGARTH / FIRST CLASS / Not transferable to Another Person. / PENALTY £20. / (the numbers 6706 surrounded by black rectangular backgrounds)
Vertical inscriptions on the front in black ink along the left edge: Single First Class Single
Vertical inscriptions on the front in red ink along the left edge: TRAVELLING IN UNIFORM
Veritcal inscriptions on the front in red ink along the right edge: DEFENCE LEAVE
Horizontal inscriptions on the back in black ink (this inscripion is right side up along the top edge and also upside down along the bottom edge): 13F E441
- 11 Apr 2019 at 10:07AM