Pewter Tankard (One of Pair)
From the Collection of Warrnambool RSL Sub Branch Cnr Merri & Liebig Streets Warrnambool Victoria
- Pewter tankard (one of two) height 13mm circumference 3mm, ornate broken C handle height 9 mm, inscription on front, hall mark on base, mild tarnish,
- pewter tankards, world war 1, first world war, ww1, light horse regiment, 4th motor regiment, australian military force, aif, corangamite, 1942, world war 2, ww2
- The pewter tankard is part of a set of two that were presented to Lt. Col. L.G. Stevens of the 4th Light-horse Regiment. The Regiment was part of the Australian Military force in the First World War (WW1). At the end of WW1 the regiment was disbanded and it was re-raised in the 1920's as a part-time unit in the Shire of Corangamite, South Western Victoria. In World War 2 the 4th Light-horse Regiment was mechanised and became the 4th Motor Regiment. Lt.Col. Stevens served in both wars and was discharged in July 1942.. The tankards were probably presented to Lt. Col. Stevens at his retirement from the service.
- The set of two pewter mugs is of historic significance because of its connection to WW2 and the AIF. It indicates the relationship between Officers and Men of the regiment. It is of local significance as Lt. Col. Stevens was born and lived in Warrnambool, South Western Victoria.
- Inscription on front "PRESENTED TO LIEUT COL L.G. STEVENS ED. By the Officers of the 4th MOTOR REGIMENT 1.5.42
Hallmark on base "Crown & Rose" CAST PEWTER, CREST CROWN & ROSE3 surrounded by FIDE IN LONDON
- 9 Apr 2019 at 4:46PM