Historical information

This bridge was built in the 1920s as a road and rail bridge, and was partly washed away by flood waters in 1934.
After the end of the first World War the Victorian Railways considered an extension of the railhead across the river at Orbost, and in 1922 a new timber and steel girder structure, a joint Country Roads Board — Victorian Railways venture, was built and completed at a cost of £41,000 (the steel girders came from the Flinders Street viaduct reconstruction). Subsequently it was decided not to take the railway across the river, and the bridge has only been used by road traffic.


This is a pictorial record of an early bridge across the Snowy River at Orbost.

Physical description

A large black / white photograph of the Orbost Snowy River bridge. There is a large copy as well as a postcard copy in sepia.

Inscriptions & markings

on front - Snowy River Bridge Orbost H.D. Bulmer - photo - Lake Tyers.