8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection, North Bandiana
Black and white photograph of Brigadier H.H. Hammer, Commander 2nd Armoured Brigade and Staff - Sargeant R.J. Roberts, Orderly Room Sergeant of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles.
The 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised as a regiment of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps on 1 May 1948 with Headquarters in Melbourne and squadrons in Sale, Benalla/Wangaratta and Albury. In 1955 Regimental Headquarters moved to Wangaratta and a second squadron was located at Albury. The Sale squadron transferred to 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse. In 1977 8/13 VMR Regiment was reduced to an independent squadron A Squadron 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles and in 1991 was linked with 4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse forming the VMR Squadron of that regiment.
Inscriptions & Markings
Comd 2 Armd Bde, Brig H.H. Hammer, pinning British Empire medal on S/Sgt R. J. Roberts, Earlsfield Road, Hampton, O/Room Sgt of 8/13thVictorian Mounted Rifles at Puckapunyal Camp during 14 day camp of Regiment in January. S/Sgt Roberts saw service in M.E., England, and South Africa with Australia Mil Liaison Staff. S/Sgt Roberts was a member of champion Victorian debating team, and trained Regt team to highest standard yet attained in services.Gave up great deal of own time in this work, and also re-organizing orderly rooms of units in country areas. Is a member of ARA.