From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a small brown glass bottle. It is empty but originally contained aspirin. The main body of the bottle has a label (white with dark blue edging) covering all sides of the bottle. The label is somewhat stained and frayed. The bottle has no stopper or lid.
- W 3.3 cm H 5.7 cm D 1.5 cm.
- This bottle contained aspirin made by the firm of Howard and Sons of England. This firm had its origins in the late 18th century and manufactured pharmaceutical products, especially quinine and aspirin. The latter was used as a painkiller for headaches and minor health problems. The distributor of this bottle of aspirin was Len Suggett, a chemist in Warrnambool. James Barnes established a chemists business in Warrnambool in the mid 1920s and Len Suggett was the manager. After the death of Barnes in 1939 Len Suggett bought the business. The business was at the corner of Liebig and Koroit Streets (102 Liebig Street) until about 1950 when it was moved to another site across the road in Liebig Street.
- Early 1930s (contents)
- Howard and Sons (Maker)
- This bottle has local provenance as it came from the pharmacy of Len Suggett who was a well-known businessman in Warrnambool for many years and therefore the item has some significance as a memento of that business.
- Howard’s English Aspirin L.G. Suggett Chemist Cr Liebig and Koroit Streets Warrnambool Phone 42
- 12 Apr 2019 at 12:01PM