black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white postcard photograph of a scenic view of the beach and ocean at Cape Conran in Far East Victoria.
- H-89mm W-140mm
- This is a scene of Cape Conran, East Gippsland taken by Bairnsdale photographer, Stanley Vogt. It was probably one of a collection of commercial post cards available to tourists or East Gippsland residents to send to friends or relatives. Cameras in the early 20th century were not a common family possession and a postcard was a common souvenir and way of sending a short message.
- first half 20th century
- Vogt, Stanley (photographer)
- Between 1901 and 1914 a wide range of subjects were recorded by often anonymous artists and photographers and published by everyone from major companies to enthusiastic individuals. As a result, postcards provide a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in how our forebears lived, laughed and loved one hundred years ago. They are very interesting records of places gone, architecture gone and people gone, showing social history such as dress, or early automobiles.
Postcards form a vital part of social and historical records for researchers.
- on front - "Stanley Voigt - Bairnsdale - Cape Conran"
- 15 Apr 2019 at 1:15PM