From the Collection of Anglesea and District Historical Society 5B McMillan Street Anglesea Victoria
- Small, very rusty cigarette tin would have held 20 De Reszke virginia cigarettes. The cigarettes were named after Jean De Reszke (1850-1925), a famous Polish opera singer and were advertised as "The Aristocrat of Cigarettes". Produced by J. Millhoff (a Russian cigarette maker living in London). A special blend of tobacco - that was believed not to damage the famous singer's voice. In gratitude Millhoff was allowed to sell the brand as "De Reszke" cigarettes.
- W850mm D750mm H20mm
- smoking, de reszke, cigarettes, geoffrey phillips (aust) pty ltd, millhoff
- Estimated date: 1920-1950
- Millhof Co Pty Ltd (Maker)
- Top: De Reszke / VIRGINIA / The Aristocrat of / CIGARETTES.
Two coats of arms - just visible on lid.
Sides: 20 De Reszke 20 / De Reszke CORK / Godfrey Phillips (Aust) Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Australia.
MILLHOFF & C0 Pty Ltd.
Printed inside: "Just as good and pure a cigarette as was especially made for and always smoked by that great singer Jean De Reszske".
De RESZKE Virginia
Picture of gentleman above (head and shoulders).
- 19 Apr 2019 at 5:02PM