black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a group of men standing in a line outside a large timber building.
- H-125mm W-177mm
- tambo-shire-council faithful's-hotel-nowa-nowa local-government
- Probably taken 1890's before Orbost was separated from Tambo.
The Shire of Tambo was a local government area about 320 kilometres east of Melbourne. The shire covered an area of 3,506.86 square kilometres and existed from 1882 until 1994. Tambo was first incorporated as a shire on 6 January 1882, splitting away from the Shire of Bairnsdale. On 30 May 1892 it lost three-quarters of its land area when the Shire of Orbost was incorporated. A small amount was re-annexed as Cunninghame Riding on 3 January 1913.
On 2 December 1994, the Shire was abolished, and merged with the City and Shire of Bairnsdale, Shire of Orbost, most of the Shire of Omeo and the Boole Boole Peninsula from Shire of Rosedale into the Shire of East Gippsland. ( more information Newsletter July 2010).
This photograph is of Tambo Shire Council meeting at Faithful's Hotel, Nowa Nowa. It includes Snowy River Riding councillors. Mary Stirling, wife of Shire Secretary Thomas Telfer Stirling, took over the Nowa Nowa Hotel from Moses Faithful in 1895.
Photograph includes: John Butter BESLEY, John William BORLAND, Charles Begg IRVINE, William J. LAMBOURN, James LARKIN, Ronald McDOUGALL, Donald McRAE, William ROADKNIGHT jnr., David WILLIAMS, James CAMERON, Charles Henry GROVE. (info. John Phillips)
- late 19th century - early 20th century
- This item is associated with the Tambo Shire Council, a local government which no longer exists.
- on back - "Tambo Shire Council . Meeting at Nowa Nowa - Stirling's Hotel"
- 27 May 2019 at 2:13PM