black / white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a group of men standing in front of an open door of a brick building. On the left of the building is a Shire of Orbost notice board and on the right wall is a notice of the office opening hours - 10AM - 12 NOON
2PM - 4PM
- orbost-shire-council local government
- This is a photograph of some of the Orbost Shire councillors standing outside their council chambers. This photograph was taken before 1969 outside the previous council offices in Orbost. The current building was opened on Friday 28th February 1969 by the Premier of Victoria, The Hon. Sir Henry E. Bolte, K.C.M.G., M.P.
The Shire of Orbost was a local government area about 380 kilometres east of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 9,347 square kilometres and existed from 1892 until 1994.
Originally, Orbost was part of the Bairnsdale Road District which was created on 30 April 1867. Splitting away as part of the Shire of Tambo in 1882, Orbost was first incorporated as a shire in its own right as the Shire of Croajingolong on 30 May 1892. It received its present name on 17 February 1893. On 3 January 1913 part of its western riding was annexed to Tambo as its Cunninghame Riding.
- first half 20th century
- Local governments play an important role in the lives of citizens in Australia. Local government authorities exist to provide services and amenities to local communities, and are also responsible for regulating and providing services for land and property in their district.
This item is representative of a time when Orbost had its own Shire Council.
- 27 May 2019 at 2:09PM