Murray Comrie Collection. The Memorial was first unveiled at a Thanksgiving Service in 1918. It now commemorates Tarnagulla residents who served in WWI and WWII. This stone monument was created and erected by Mr. Barber of Dunolly in October 1919. It was unveiled by Brigadier General Brand C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. at 2:30pm on Saturday November 8th, 1919. The Welcome Home Committee, formed 2nd July 1917, was largely responsible for commissioning the monument. Foundation members were Mrs. B. Patterson, Mrs J. Bock and the Misses P. Lemin, Violet Radnell, D. Dyer and Doris and Phoebe Bock. The Committee also arranged 'Welcome Home' functions for each local soldier returning home after service in the First World War. Tarnagulla had a very large number of enlistments for its population.
Monochrome photograph of the Soldiers Memorial monument in Tarnagulla. Unknown date. Probably a copy of a low-resolution news photograph.