Murray Comrie Collection.
The monument was created and erected by Mr. Barber of Dunolly in October 1919. It was unveiled by Brigadier General Brand C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. at 2:30pm on Saturday November 8th, 1919. The Welcome Home Committee, formed 2nd July 1917, was largely responsible for commissioning the monument. Foundation members were Mrs. B. Patterson, Mrs J. Bock and the Misses P. Lemin, Violet Radnell, D. Dyer and Doris and Phoebe Bock. The Committee arranged 'Welcome Home' functions for each local soldier returning home after service in the First World War. Tarnagulla had a very large number of enlistments for its population.
Angus M. Comrie is standing to the right of the Memorial with his daughter Mavis Comrie, and Nell Alexander. Mavis Comrie presented a new Union Jack flag to the Tarnagulla School on 25th July 1919 to commemorate Peace. Peace Medals were also distributed to the school students.
Monochrome photograph depicting the unveiling ceremony for the Soldiers' Memorial monument in Tarnagulla. A large crowd is looking on, some spilling off the curb and onto the street, whilst several officials stand on a temporary platform. The obelisk monument is left of centre in the image.