13 labels - Rowley
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 Rectangular , red, green, blue and white label featuring text, two flags with lions, a sailing ship, a sheep and a sheaf of wheat. There is a scroll with text. A white decorative border surrounds the label. It is adhered to a piece of red thin cardboard.
.2 Irregular shaped label with gold and green decorations on a white background and text. The decorative pieces include grapes, vine leaves, flowers, the profile of a wolf, and two medallions with the coat of arms of Warrnambool There are two scrolls with text The label is adhered to a piece of white card.
.5 Rectangular Multi coloured label with text adhered to a piece of white paper
.4 Rectangular green card with text
.3 Hexagonal grey/green label with black and red text and decorative black dotted curls mounted on white paper
.6 White rectangular label with blue text and decorative surround of leaves and flowers. It has damage to three corners.
.7 White label with blue text and decorative border adhered to white paper.
.8 Pale pink rectangular card label with rose coloured text and a decorative border.
.9 Cream rectangular label with red text and decorative border adhered to a piece of white paper
10.1, 10.2 Cream rectangular labels with red text. .2 is adhered to white paper.
11.1, 11.2 Cream rectangular labels with red text and borders adhered to white paper.
- john rowley, cordial manufacture
- In 1868 John Rowley opened a soda water manufactory attached to the Corio Brewery and this was renamed the Warrnambool Steam Aerated Works in 1872. By the 1880s his factory at the corner of Timor and Banyan Streets was occupying half an acre of land , employing 13 people and manufacturing 20 varieties of drinks. Following Rowley's death the factory and plant was sold but the cordial manufacturing business continued for some years.
- These labels are of great significance as John Rowley was a dominant name in the cordial making business in Warrnambool.
- .1 ROWLEY'S STANDARD CLOVES WARRNAMBOOL COLOURED WITH BURNT SUGAR
.2 Warrnambool NULLI SECUNDUS BY THESE WE FLOURISH STANDARD ORANGE BITTERS J.S.ROWLEY
.3 STANDARD HOP BEER J.S. ROWLEY AERATED WATERS & CORDIAL MANUFACTURER WARRNAMBOOL
.4 Rowley's SPARKLING Ginger Champagne NON ALCOHOLIC AND INVIGORATING
.5 WARRNAMBOOL J.S.ROWLEY'S GINGERALE. TO HIS EXCELLENCY LORD BRASSEY K.G.B.
.6 ROWLEY'S LEMONADE MANUFACTURED WITH THOROUGHLY FILTERED RAIN WATER WARRNAMBOOL
.7 ROWLEY'S LITHIA WATER
.8 ROWLEY'S TONIC WATER
.9 ROWLEY'S GINGER BEER
.10.1 ,10.2 ROWLEY'S KOLA CHAMPAGNE A Most Highly Refreshing and Excellent Beverage. Its properties are unequalled for preventing fatigue.
.11 J.S ROWLEY, MANUFACTURER WARRNAMBOOL & HAMILTON
CONTENTS APPROXIMATELY 25 OZ.
THIS CORDIAL DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY PRESERVATIVE
BY THESE WE FLOURISH
STANDARD ORANGE BITTERS
- 6 Oct 2019 at 6:53PM