The Anglican Cheltenham parish was created in 1865 by excising a portion of the parish of St Andrews Brighton. A small brick church was completed in 1867 to serve a rural community stretching from Brighton South (Moorabbin) to Mordialloc.
1867 St Matthew's Church of England was erected in Cheltenham beside the Nepean Highway near Charman Road. The early settlers established a tennis club, cricket team and social groups. A typical social event was the annual Sunday School Picnic held in 1907 at Dandenong Creek.Young members are mentioned Curly Owen,C,Burnett,A Manett
St Matthew's Church of England Cheltenham was erected in 1867 and was integral to the spiritual well being and social life of the early settlers.
Black & White photograph of the St Matthew's Church of England Sunday School Picnic 1907
Inscriptions & markings
Handwritten Curly Owen,C,Burnett,A Manett
- st. matthew's church of england cheltenham, sunday school picnics, anglican church, st andrew's church brighton, owen curly, burnett c . manett a, horse drawn carts, toll gates brighton, motor cars 1900, steam engines, early settlers, bentleigh, parish of moorabbin, city of moorabbin, county of bourke, moorabbin roads board, shire of moorabbin, henry dendy's special survey 1841, were j.b.; bent thomas, o'shannassy john, king richard, charman stephen, highett william, ormond francis, maynard dennis, market gardeners, vineyards, orchards