Murray Comrie Collection.
There were four banks in Tarnagulla at one stage, but two - the National Bank and the Bank of Australasia - were open for a short period only.
The single-storey brick building at far left was built in 1859 and used by the Union Bank until 1888, and was later renamed 'Lochcarron' and used as premises by doctors and dentists. The two-storey building (right) was built in 1866 by the Colonial Bank of Australasia. Before this, the site had been occupied by Foo's shop. Whilst it was being built, the Colonial Bank operated from Company's Hotel (later known as Burstall Hall and the Council Chambers). The double-storey building in this image was used by the Colonial Bank from 1866 until 21st February, 1888. The premises were sold to the Union Bank for £2500. The Union Bank moved in and commenced operations on 6th June 1888, continuing until 1942. The building was later used as a general store until the 1990s. Both buildings are now private residences.
This is a reasonable copy of an older original. Copy probably made by Murray Comrie in the 1970s.
Monochrome photograph depicting a section of Commercial Road in Tarnagulla with two brick buildings, one single-storey and one double-storey.
Inscriptions & markings
Caption on original in right lower corner 'Union Bank Tarnagulla'.
Handwritten on reverse: Orig showed building to left of Lochcarron H. Joyce Fruiterer' and 'Orig with Mr. A.M. Renshaw'.