Boys from the Methodist Children's Home Cheltenham collecting Briquettes from the shed. Briquettes, made from Brown coal, were an economical source of heating for the Home
The Methodist Children's Home in Cheltenham was founded c1880 to provide housing for neglected children from the inner city. The Founders aimed to provide regular nourishment, a stable environment and integrate the children into the local community thereby improving their education and lives. ( see 00561)
1950's saw a new direction for the support of children and families in poor and difficult situations . The new Burwood Homes Facility opened in 1951 and children were transferred from Cheltenham in 1952. The land was sold to the St John of God, Catholic Order in1953 who maintained an orphanage until Myer Pty Ltd bought the site in 1967 and constructed the Southland Shopping Centre
c1892-1953 The Methodist Children's Home Cheltenham was founded to provide safe accommodation and education for neglected children from the inner city slums.
Black & White photograph of some boys in the Briquette Shed at Methodist Children's Home Cheltenham 1935
Inscriptions & markings
Back Handwritten information
- methodist children's home cheltenham 1892-1953, briquettes, heating, yallourn brown coal mine, city of moorabbin, county of bourke, moorabbin roads board, parish of moorabbin, shire of moorabbin, henry dendy's special survey 1841, were j.b.; bent thomas, o'shannassy john, king richard, charman stephen, highett william, ormond francis, maynard dennis, cheltenham state school no.84, methodist chapel cheltenham, methodist school cheltenham, beaumaris west state school, meeres frederick, meeres walter, education, early settlers