'Oak Bank ' , in Ann Street McKinnon, was originally owned by Mr Robert Smith. The house was later renamed 'The Whitehouse' and was still in use as a General Hospital in the 1950's, known as the Ann Street Hospital.. This small hospital handled some Surgery, Midwifery and general Medical cases from the fast growing Bentleigh / McKinnon area. As time progressed the Hospital became too small, and was unable to meet new medical standards When Moorabbin Community Hospital opened c1974 in Centre Road East Bentleigh, the Ann St Hospital closed. The Moorabbin Hospital is now a campus of Monash Medical Centre Clayton.
'The Whitehouse' was used as a general Hospital for the residents of McKinnon, Bentleigh, and Ormond for many years during the 20thC.
Colour photograph showing Mrs John Marriott ( nee Ann Smith) , her son Fred Marriott standing outside 'The Whitehouse' undated ? c1960
Inscriptions & markings
Back ; Handwritten information
- oakbank house mckinnon, whitehouse mckinnon, ann street general hospital, moorabbin community hospital, monash hospital clayton, smith robert, lees seedling growers ltd. thomas street mckinnon,mith j l; smith mary ann, stanley helen, smith vic, chaff cutter, horse drawn carts, toll gates brighton, motor cars 1900, steam engines, early settlers, bentleigh, mckinnon, parish of moorabbin, city of moorabbin, county of bourke, moorabbin roads board, shire of moorabbin, henry dendy's special survey 1841, were j.b.; bent thomas, o'shannassy john, king richard, charman stephen, highett william, ormond francis, maynard dennis, market gardeners, vineyards, orchards