black and white photograph
From the Collection of Orbost & District Historical Society Ruskin Street Orbost Victoria
- A black / white photograph of a large school building with two men standing out the front.
- H-77mm W-126mm
- orbost-state-school education-orbost
- the Orbost State School opened on19th of March 1886. The school had first operated temporarily in a leased building, and on a half-time basis with SS2745 Jarrahmond, The head teacher was Campbell Mackay who remained in charge only until 12th of May 1886. The second head teacher, John Rowe, served until 1908. On 30th of June 1887, a portable room was provided; it being brought to the area by schooner. The school now had accommodation for 30 pupils; the teacher's welfare was considered because quarters of two rooms were attached. As the population increased so did the needs of the school. This was reflected in the provision of a larger classroom in 1898. During 1910-11 the first approaches were made to the Department for the establishment of a Higher Elementary School in Orbost and this became a reality in 1912. Orbost. The Higher Elementary School supplied post-primary education in the district until a high school was built in 1948. When fire destroyed the school in 1941 local halls were used as classrooms until a new school was built, opened by the Hon. A. E. Lind, MLA, on 13th of February 1942. But Orbost continued to develop and the new school was soon overtaxed. This resulted in the erection of two Bristol classrooms in 1947. By 1950, when the school population had reached 500 pupils the opening of the new school at Orbost North was welcomed by all concerned. In 1963 the Department purchased land diagonally opposite the school and developed it as a playing area.
- This item is associated with education in the Orbost district.
- 13 Jun 2019 at 3:19PM