Label - A.Darby
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- Primarily a rectangular shaped label with all the edges curved. It features text , scrolls, a Maltese cross, lemons, flowers, leaves, berries, grapes and another puce coloured fruit.It is multi coloured. It is adhered to a piece of white card.
- L13cm W 9.5cm
- a.darby, cordials, warrnambool, cloves cordial, alfred darby
- Alfred Darby leased a cordial factory in Henna Street, Warrnambool in 1897. The Maltese cross was his well known trade mark. In 1899 he tried to start another cordial factory in Koroit Street but was prevented from doing so because it contravened the agreement he had with the owner of the Henna Street building. It is not known when he left Warrnambool but he had an interest in another cordial factory in Rochester, Victoria.
- Gaspars Modern Printing Co. (Maker)
- This label is of considerable significance as details of Alfred Darby's cordial manufacturing business operations in Warrnambool are scant.
- CLOVES TRADE MARK MANUFACTURED BY A DARBY, HENNA ST., WARRNAMBOOL
- 6 Oct 2019 at 7:00PM