jpeg - McIntyre Letter (digital copy)
From the Collection of Ballarat Heritage Services PO Box 2209 Bakery Hill Post Office Victoria
- 8 jpeg files and one pdf file
- 4.5MB each plus 1 x pdf small file
- eureka, mcintyre, fletcher, eureka hotel, bentley, riot, ballarat, vern, eureka stockade
- Eureka battle was fought on 3 December 1854, with the soldiers attacking the miners on the Eureka Lead, Ballarat East. Before the actual battle there were skirmishes and unrest. McIntyre, the author of the letter was arrested after the burning of Bentley's Eureka Hotel.
- January 2001
- The letter is dated 29 March 1855, the location being Bakery Hill. It is a digital copy of a letter from McIntyre who was present at the burning of Bentley's Eureka Hotel. McIntyre was arrested with Fletcher. It is important that a digital copy of this letter is preserved, as it is one of the rare original letters of eyewitness accounts that have survived from the mid 1850s in Ballarat.
- last Thursday at 7:56PM