Murray Comrie Collection.
This image depicts the stables at rear of a two-storey bank building in Tarnagulla. The bank building was used first by the Colonial Bank of Australasia (from 1866 to 1888) and then by the Union Bank (from 1888 to 1942).
The two-storey bank building was built in 1866 by the Colonial Bank of Australasia. Before this, the site had been occupied by Foo's shop. Whilst it was being built, the Colonial Bank operated from Company's Hotel (later known as Burstall Hall and the Council Chambers). The new double-storey building was used by the Colonial Bank from 1866 until 21st February, 1888. The premises were sold to the Union Bank for £2500. The Union Bank moved in and commenced operations on 6th June 1888, continuing until 1942. The building was later used as a general store until the 1990s. It is now a private residence.
Monochrome photograph depicting stables at rear of the double-storey bank building in Tarnagulla. Image depicts a brick building with white timber doors and corrugated metal roof. The site was originally built by and for the Colonial Bank and later used by the Union Bank.