Multiple Labels - Kennedy
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- .1 Rectangular paper label adhered to a piece of pink card. It features a lighthouse and small sailing ship in the centre of a red circle with black and white text, Surrounding the circle is text and decorations of flowers on an olive green background. The label is torn on the bottom right hand corner. It is adhered to a piece of pink card.
.2 Light green label featuring a lighthouse in a circle underneath which is a scroll with text, There are finely drawn curly decorations and further text. It is adhered to a piece of pink card.
.3 Similar to .2 with different text
.4 Similar to .2 and .3 with different text
.5 Similar to .2,.3,.4 with different text
.6 Similar to .2,.3,.4,.5 with different text
6.1Similar to .2,.3,.4,.5,.6 with different text
6.2 Turquoise label with a gold diagonal wide band with text. The label features a lighthouse in a circle , there are decorations of leaves, and curls. The white and black text is stylised, especially the name of the manufacturer.
.7 Buff coloured rectangular card adhered to a piece of pink card. The dark green text is surrounded by a decorative border.
.8 White rectangular featuring a blue coloured lighthouse and detailed black text
.9 White rectangular label with black detailed text surrounded by a border.
.10 Similar to 6.2 with different text, adhered to white paper.
.11 identical to .10 but adhered to pink card.
.12 White rectangular card with black and red text
.13 identical to .12
.14 Three joined pale blue labels with dark blue text. The central label is larger than the other two which are equal in size. One of the smaller labels in upside down. All have borders.
.15 Identical to .14 excepting it is adhered to white card
.16 White rectangular label with black text. It features a lighthouse, decorations of leaves and a variety of styles and fonts of the print. It is adhered to a piece of pink card.
.17 Identical to .16 excepting it is adhered to white card.
.18 Identical to .17
.19 Rectangular white label with red and black detailed text adhered to a piece of white paper
.20 Identical to .19 excepting it is adhered to a piece of pink card.
.21 Rectangular white label with grey text , a decorative border and further decorations adhered to a piece of white card.
.22 Identical to .21 but not adhered,
.23 Identical to .21 , adhered to white card
.24 Identical to .22
.25 Square white label with red and black text. and a red border.
.26 White rectangular label with dark green text and border.
.27 Small white rectangular label with gold text adhered to a piece of white paper
- Various, all for small bottles and /or tins
- chemists, pharmaceutical society of victoria, mechanics institute, warrnambool, warrnambool hospital, warrnambool bowls club
- Richard Kennedy (1826-1903), a wholesale , retail and manufacturing chemist in Timor Street, came to Warrnambool in 1880 and had what was described in "Cyclopedia of Victoria' as the "largest and best appointed pharmacy in Victoria'. Kennedy was Vice President of the Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria, on the Pharmacy Board and was prominent in community affairs in Warrnambool. He was for some time President of the Mechanics Institute and the Warrnambool Hospital and a foundation member of the Warrnambool Bowls Club. He also made locally perfumes with many varieties named after people or events of the time-Federation, Nellie Melba etc.. His pharmacy building in Timor Street and his house 55 Canterbury Road "Ivanhoe" still stands (2019) The use of a lighthouse in his advertising and on his bottles is of particular interest. W.D.H.S. has Kennedy bottles in its collection
- Early 20th century
- Gaspars Modern Printing Co. (Maker)
- These labels are of great significance as they were produced for a pharmacist of note in Victoria and Warrnambool.
- .1 LECTAR THE MIGHTY HEALTH RESTORING LIFE PRESERVER NERVE TONIC
.2 POPULAR FAMILY MEDICINES CARBOLIC OIL POISON FROM R. F. KENNEDY& CO PHARMAISTS WARRNAMBOOL
.3 As for .2 FRIAR'S BALSAM in lieu of CARBOLIC OIL
.4 As for .2, .3 GLYCERINE in lieu OF FRIAR'S BALSAM
.5 As for .2,.3,.4 Paregoric, Peppermint, Aniseed and Laudanum. POISON in lieu of GLYCERINE
.6 As for .2,.3,.4,.5 CAMPHORATED OIL in lieu of Paregoric,Peppermint, Aniseed and Laudanum
.6.1 As for .2,.3,.4,.5,.6 PARRISH'S FOOD . in lieu of CAMPHORATED OIL Dose- Adults 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful
6.2 Pure BENZINE FROM R. F. KENNEDY AND CO. Pharmaceutical Works WARRRNAMBOOL
.7 LINSEED OILR.F KENNEDY & CO. Wholesale and Manufacturing Chemists WARRNAMBOOL
.8 the primary text is : THE ALSATIAN INFLUENZA MIXTURE A section of the ensuing text is ; "For EXHAUSTION, LOSS OF APPETITE , NEURITIS and GENERAL RUN DOWN it will be found a Powerful Tonic."
.9 Dr Law's PILE OINTMENT Directions ............... R.F KENNEDY & CO Wholesale and Manufacturing Chemists WARRNAMBOOOL
10. As for .2,.3,.4,.5,.6.6.1 VASELINE in lieu of BENZINE
.11 Identical to .10
.12 COLOURED WITH TUMERIC. Labelled in accordance with the "SALE AND USE OF POISONS ACT" POISON R.F. KENNEDY & CO. Chemists WARRNAMBOOL
APPROXIMATELY 7 GRAMS
.13 Identical to .12.
.14 Central label "THE CURE" FOR CORNS R.F. KENNEDY &CO manufacturing Chemists WARRNAMBOOL .Small label PROPRIETORS OF THE. CELEBRATED . CURE FOR TOOTHACHE . Small label PROPRIETORS OF The Sulpho- Thymol Soap, For Eruptions and Irritations of the Skin.
.15 Identical to .14
.16TASTELESS ITALIAN CASTOR OIL OF THE PUREST QUALITY. Adults Dose one to two tablespoonfuls . Children half to one tablespoonful. IMPORTED BY R.F. KENNEDY&CO. Manufacturing Chemists Timor ST. Warrnambool
.17 Identical to .16
.18 Identical to .16
.19 PURE REDISTILLED EUCALYPTUS OIL OF EXTRA STRENGTH & PURITY DEODORANT & DISINFECTANT FROM R.F. KENNEDY & CO'S Pharmaceutical Works Warrnambool ( Much more detail)
.20 Identical to .19
.21,.22,.23,.24 PURE Refined SALAD OIL FROM R.F. KENNEDY & CO.MANUFACTURING CHEMISTS WARRNAMBOOL
.25 Brilliantine AN ELEGANT AND FRAGRANT PREPARATION FOR THE HAIR, MOUSTACHE, OR WHISKERS. PROPRIETORS R.F. KENNEDY & CO. WARRNAMBOOL
.26 Directions.--- To be applied to the irritable parts two or three times daily R.F. KENNEDY & CO., Chemists, Warrnambool
.27 R.F. KENNEDY & CO. Manufacturing and Dispensing Chemists WARRNAMBOOL
- 16 Aug 2019 at 10:39AM