From the Collection of 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regimental Collection Building 129 Carlisle Drive North Bandiana Vic
- Typed Administrative Instruction for A Squadron 8/13 VMR support to Festival of Canberra 10-13 March 1988. Four pages including nominal roll.Light Horse Troop provided mounted guard for the re-naming of Canberra ceremony and participated in Festival Parade.
- 290 mm x 210 mm
- On Canberra Day held on 12 March 1988, a ceremony is conducted to commemorate the relocation of the Commencement Column Monument (also known as the Commemoration Stone) on Capital Hill. The Light Horse Heritage Troop of 8/13 Victorian Mounted Rifles supported the event.
The monument was originally designed to have a 20 metre column to signify the Commonwealth. It was to be erected on a hexagonal base comprising six granite blocks, one from each of the original States of the Commonwealth, on the land axis between Capital Hill and Camp Hill. Whilst the column was never completed, the hexagonal base was constructed and, on 12 March 1913, three foundation stones were laid, by the then Governor-General Lord Denman, the Prime Minister Andrew Fisher, and the Minister of Home Affairs the Hon. King O'Malley, to commemorate the founding and naming of Canberra as the national capital.
In 1981 the 63 stones making up the monument were removed from Capital Hill and stored prior to the commencement of excavation work for the new Parliament House. Following a Joint Standing Committee recommendation in 1987, the Commencement Column monument is relocated 'on the land axis immediately north of the parade ground associated with the new Parliament House'.
- 23 Jul 2019 at 10:18AM