Booklet, HMAS SYDNEY (3) A214.
From the Collection of Lara RSL Sub Branch McClelland Ave Lara Victoria
- Rectangular shaped booklet with blue plastic spine and clear cover.
- 300mm x 215mm x 5mm thick.
- hmas ships, aircraft carrier, troop transport ships, lara r.s.l.
- HMAS Sydney was a Majestic-class light aircraft carrier operated by the Royal Australian Navy. She was built for the Royal Navy and was launched as HMS Terrible in 1944, but was not completed before the end of World War II. The carrier was sold to Australia in 1947, completed, and commissioned into the RAN as Sydney in 1948. She completed two tours of duty in Korean waters. She was relieved in January 1952, after taking the Australian contingent to the U.K. for the Coronation, returning home on 16 N0vember 1952. she finished in Korean waters on 4 May 1953.
- HMAS Sydney was paid off into reserve in January 1958 and was recommissioned in 1962 as a troop transport. She completed more than 20 trips to Vietnam and was known by the nickname of 'Vung Tau Ferry'. HMAS Sydneys last trip to Vietnam was completed on 12 March 1972 and was paid off for disposal on 12 November 1973. She was sold for breaking up in Korea on 30 October 1975 and left Sydney in tow on 23 December 1975.
- 8 Aug 2019 at 10:59AM