Orbost & District Historical Society , Orbost
A large black / white photograph of two horse - drawn wagons on a narrow sandy bush track. It is surrounded by scrub. There is one man standing beside a horse not harnessed to a wagon.
Prior to the sealing of the Princes Highway west of Orbost, the road surface was anything but good, even by C1917 when cars started to use the road.
From Orbost the old road via Marlo to Sydenham was abandoned for the new location which traversed more rugged country via Cabbage Tree, Bell Bird and Club Terrace to Cann River, and the reason for this diversion was on account of settlements being established at Murrungowar and Club Terrace, at which latter place there was a temporary rush to obtain gold. This road was constructed by the Public Works department and a maximum grade of 1 in 19 was adopted, and as speed was not to be catered for the grade followed in and out round the spurs and gullies, resulting in a maze of turns and twists which required a good deal of skill on the part of the horse driver to negotiate." - Bairnsdale Advertiser, Friday, May 2, 1947.
(More information from Newsletter February 2010)
n the late 1800's early 1900's transporting goods by road was difficult and at times impossible because roads as thoroughfares did not exist.The means of travelling along the roads in the 1800's was by bullock wagon, horse pulled dray, pack horse or simply by foot. This road is still in use in East Gippsland as a part of many four-wheel-drive touring routes.
Inscriptions & Markings
on front - "The Coast Road to Mallacoota from Orbost JPC"