Photographic Booklet - Card
From the Collection of Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc. 2 Gilles Street (south of Merri St) Warrnambool Victoria
- This is a piece of blue paper folded in two with black and blue printing on the front and back covers and an image of two kookaburras on the front cover. In the back of the front cover is pasted a strip of paper containing 13 black and white photographs folded in concertina fashion to form a booklet. The front cover has an extension that fits into a slot on the back cover to enclose the photographs. There is space for a stamp and an address on the front cover and space for the name of the sender on the back cover. There is pencil writing on the space for the stamp.
- W 15 cm. H 10.5 cm.
- This item is a souvenir booklet that would have been purchased by a tourist in the Warrnambool district in the mid 20th century. The photographs are representative of the tourist attractions of the area – Hopkins Falls, the mouth of the Hopkins River, Shelly Beach, the Breakwater, the Botanical Gardens etc. Tourism in Warrnambool began to be important towards the end of the 19th century when the coastal scenery, the beaches and the Sea Water Baths were advertised to promote Warrnambool as a spa resort town. Today tourism is a major industry in the city.
- The Valentine Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd. (Maker)
- This item is of minor interest as a souvenir of the type of postcard purchased by tourists in the mid 20th century.
- Warrnambool Photographic Booklet
- 6 Oct 2019 at 9:42PM