Evening outfit - Four piece outfit of blouse, camisole, skirt and wrap
From the Collection of Brighton Historical Society First Floor Bayside Arts and Cultural Centre (Old Brighton Town Hall) Corner Carpenter and Wilson Streets Brighton Victoria
- A four piece outfit of blouse / cardigan, camisole, skirt and wrap.
Double layered silk wrap, outer layer of silk chiffon. Both ends feature and embroidered band of brown and black cotton, copper wire, and copper glass beads.
Camisole of black and copper shot polyester rayon with wide shoulder straps and small shoulder pads.
Blouse of brown silk chiffon, V neck centre front button through cardigan with eleven silk covered buttons and loops. Feature patch pockets over front hip and full length sleeves. The neckline and sleeve edge feature copper coloured glass bead trim.
Full length double layered straight skirt with black and copper shot polyester rayon lining and silk chiffon overskirt. The skirt secures centre back with a nylon zip and botton closure. The skirt features a centre front embroidered panel of brown and black cotton leaf and flower motifs, with copper wire and copper glass beads.
- "M" Medium
- T0105.1 - 4
- costume party, titanic, easton pearson, pamela easton, lydia pearson, australian fashion
- The purchase of this c.1997 ensemble was significant for Di Reidie, she considers it her first major purchase of this nature and she felt it appropriate to honour it with a suitable event to which to wear it. She decided to hold a "Titanic" themed party for friends at her home in 1998. The event included an eleven course meal prepared by Di, and "Titanic" themed decoration including a row boat in the back yard.
- Easton Pearson (Maker)
- Di Reidie was a volunteer and president of Brighton Historical Society from 1999 - 2016. Originally from New Zealand, Di and her family have lived in Male Street, Brighton for many years and been active community members. During her time at BHS, Di has contributed significantly to the establishment, preservation and promotion of the Costume collection as well as the Brighton Historical society as a whole. Di was also a vintage clothing dealer and amassed her own significant costume and ephemera collection.
Easton Pearson was a prominent and celebrated Australian fashion label based in Brisbane, Queensland. The design duo of Pamela Easton and Lydia Pearson, used significant hand crafts and cultural influences in their work between 1989 and 2016. The label won many awards as well as enjoying significant commercial success.
In 1997 a feature film "Titanic" by James Cameron and starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo De Caprio was released and quickly became a cultural phenomenon. The film won 11 Academy awards of its 14 nominations. The film relates a fictional story based upon the true events of the tragic sinking of the "unsinkable" ship "Titanic" on her maiden voyage from England to America in 1912, after striking an iceberg and fatally rupturing the hull.
- manufacturers label "Oh, Easton Pearson", "Pure Silk", "Polyester Rayon", Care label, "M"
- 2 Sep 2019 at 8:57PM